Saturday 28 April 2007

Exploding contracts == dilemma

Two weeks ago I was bemoaning the fact that my cash flow was in the red and my savings were running away in a torrent. I was then approached by a friend for a contract. Shortly after my interview with them I had four other clients approach me. So suddenly I'm flooded with offers!

One of the other clients was a good friend of mine as well. So I had a real dilemma on my hands. I didn't want to disappoint either one.

The first contract came first - but they hesitated on giving me a "Yes definitely" answer until after I'd started to look at the second one. I felt I had to look at each of them in good faith.

The first contract offered sexy video on the web, the second a really big name financial company

The first contract offerred a relaxed, sociable startup feel with some onsite some offsite. The second offered relaxed, sociable academic feel, onsite-only, but I'd have the chance to teach the rest of the team Rails skills.

It was pretty much neck-and-neck. It was a tough decision, from the perspective of preserving friendships. But when I weighed all the pros and cons objectively, the business decision became clear. In the end, for me, it came down to the fact that the first contract could only offer three days a week, while the second offered full-time.

I start on Tuesday.

No comments: