Tuesday 19 August 2008

Link: Why I don't have a startup yet

Great post called Why I don't have a startup yet. Snippet:

"I love what I do at Yahoo, and I care enough about what we create that I want to focus all my energy on creating value for users. It’s good practice. But as long as I work at this job, I won’t have enough left over at the end of the day to seriously invest in anything else."

But further to that - there's so much in the world to do. Doing work is part of that, but if it's the only thing in your life, then "All work and no play makes Taryn a dull girl". Sure, some coding is play - and I do love to code my own stuff too... but I like so many things, that if I focus my off-hours on coding, I'd lose sight of all the rest that life has to offer.

So sure, I choose to spend some time coding, but also a lot of time reading books while sipping great coffee, getting together with interesting bunches of people, travelling to far-flung places, writing up my travels or even writing fiction (however badly), taking photographs, attending medieval feasts and wars, making home-brew mead, or even just walking outside and enjoying the sun.

Life is an adventure... make the most of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahmen. one can not survive on code alone!